Little Baby Carrots - Container Gardening - Planting Vegetables from seed.

This past spring the kids and I picked up some carrot seeds to take a stab at container gardening.  I'm great with flowering plants but know nothing about vegetables.  We used some recycled take out food containers to get the little seeds going inside in the spring.  That worked great, our own little greenhouse.  Don't store your greenhouse too close to the window as it causes the seedlings to bend over and can actually make them too tall and thin.  It was a great learning tool too.  I was able to teach the kids about how the little seeds generate their own heat as they grow and the condensation on the lid provides water for them. 
We took them out of their little green house when they were just an inch or so high and planted them in some small containers in the yard.  We watched and waited the entire summer, then just a few weeks ago I had the kids do a mini harvest.


 One lesson learned, our containers weren't quite tall enough, we ended up with little stubby carrots but the kids thought they were hilarious in shape.  My daughter carried those little carrots around for hours calling them her little babies... how sweet is that?  I must admit she now has a new found love for eating carrots too - I didn't really think it would impact their taste for them but it did.

 We had a small bit of space left in the container so I grabbed some mini purple potatoes that had begun to sprout in our cupboard and threw those in too.  Not quite as successful, we yielded one tiny baby potato, but my daughter loved it too.  All in all, we'll try it again next year.

 

Comments

.

.
Come visit the Little wee Shop